Updating old kitchen lighting
In particular, figuring out what to do with the ugly fluorescent lighting.Our house was built in the mid-1980’s, and had fluorescent lighting in the kitchen and bathrooms.The dining room really need to lose the wallpaper and light fixture too. Also, note the fluorescent light fixture box that so many of us have dealt with.My main concern in the foyer and dining room was just to lighten it up with a pretty neutral paint. This area had dark stained woodwork, linoleum floors, and again the wallpaper border that just screamed “help me”. With the dark moldings, it really closed the room in. The first thing I told him was that the cabinets really needed to be painted. He commissioned me to go out and pick out paint, tile for the floor, cabinet paint, granite for the countertops, and hardware for the cabinets, as well as updated fixtures for the kitchen and dining room. My goal was to keep it neutral and pretty, so that someone could see themselves living here.This is a shot of our kitchen before we closed on the house. There are a few ridiculous things in this picture that we knew we wanted to address.We knew we wanted big changes on a small budget, but weren’t 100% sure how it was going to go. Luckily, we brought our friends K&D over and, with their endless optimism and years owning both a cleaning business and a handyman business, they immediately showed us the way. What you’ve got to do is take them out, and mount some crown moulding to the bottom of the recessed area so it makes a little pocket.I took a look around his mid-1980’s brick home to see what all needed to be done.We definitely decided to lighten up all the paint throughout and the unfortunate wallpaper that was installed over 10 years ago had to go.
He hired a contractor to do the work, with supervision from me along the way and I’m absolutely thrilled with how it came out. I worked off the color strip of Sherwin Williams Rice Grain for the wall paint, with Rice Grain going in the kitchen and diningroom and the lighter shade, Nacre, going in the den, which I didn’t get pics of, since it wasn’t put back together yet.
This past week has been full of showhouse meetings and Children’s Hospital projects, but we also managed to knock three more bullets off our kitchen to-do list.
We (1) patched, primed, and painted the old yellowed ceiling, (2) replaced the two fluorescent lights in the kitchen area, and (3) replaced the light over the breakfast table.
First, I snapped off the plastic cover and twisted out the two tube bulbs.
You can see these two steps were actually done before we painted the walls because we wanted to be sure that the fixture box was centered.